The people of Plateau have experienced the wrong side of the flood , as ten people have lost their lives, while 7, 342 others were displaced by flooding May and July this year, according to a top official of the Plateau Government.
Executive Secretary of the Plateau State Emergency Agency (SEMA), Alhaji Hassan, Barde, who made the disclosure on Friday in Jos, said that 1,153 houses were destroyed during the period.
He said that 832 villages were also submerged by flood.
“Since May, we have recorded 10 deaths caused by flood, with 1,153 houses destroyed and 7, 342 people displaced from their homes.
“All the 17 Local Governments have been affected by flood with 832 villages totally submerged.”
He named Jos North, Jos South, Bokkos, Kanke, Wase, Shendam, Mikang, Jos East, Langtang North and Langtang South as the worst hit areas.
The executive secretary said, however, that the figures were not static because the rains were not yet over.
He added that the value of the damage was estimated at N5.2 million.
Barde said that the agency was doing everything necessary to alleviate the suffering of the people affected by the floods.
“SEMA has already put in place arrangements to carry out what is called Rapid Post Disaster Need Assessment.
“Very soon we will be going out to the Local Governments affected.
“We will want to see the people displaced, where they are and what they need, to be able to come back and immediately make appropriation to the State Government for intervention.
The SEMA chief explained that the agency had been carrying out public awareness on allowing free flow of water and indiscriminate dumping of refuse.
He said that the agency was also collaborating with other agencies, including Urban Development Board, Jos Metropolitan Development Board, among others to ensure compliance with rules guiding erecting of structures.
“SEMA is collaborating with relevant agencies to ensure that citizens follow rules of erecting buildings and sanctioning those who deliberately build their homes on waterways.”
Barde said that his office had already reported the disaster to the National Emergency Management Agency for possible assistance.
Source:( PM News )
via: INFORMATION NIGERIA