Alhaji Lateef Ajikanle, a member of the All Progressives Congress, APC was reportedly said to have got electrocuted in his home at Bolaji Omupo Street, Somolu last Saturday, July 22.
As confirmed, the renowned Lagos APC member was struck while he was making attempts to pick dirt around his compound in spite of the Saturday flood.
His younger sister, Monsuru Ajikanle, told correspondents on Sunday that the 50-year-old was preparing to participate in the last Saturday’s local government election before the tragic event.
“He went to the mosque that day. The rain started early in the morning and everywhere was flooded. He was coming back from the mosque around 7am when he saw that the fence owned by the poultry farmer on the next street had collapsed on the pumping machine in our compound.
“Also, the flood water could not flow out and there were waste paper and other dirty materials everywhere. He started picking the rubbish from the water. He was doing that when his hand touched the live wire exposed after the fence fell on the pumping machine and he was electrocuted.”
A neighbour, who attempted to rescue him was also reportedly electrocuted, but escaped death.
“One of our neighbours, Femi, ran into the flood to help him, but the electric current in the water forced him back. We called the Ikeja Electric to disconnect the power”, Monsuru noted
It was gathered that the flood was worsened by the rubble of a collapsed fence owned by a poultry farmer on an adjoining street, Lisabi Street.
Officials of the Ikeja Electric, Onipanu Business District, were said to have been alerted at the spur of the incident.
via: INFORMATION NIGERIA